The Valdosta-Lowndes County Parks & Recreation Authority continually strives to be the leading force in superior, affordable recreation services and facilities for all residents of Valdosta and Lowndes County. The Authority aims to promote a high quality of life for the entire population and support residents’ values while growing a healthy, safe, and environmentally responsible community.
How we operate
The Valdosta-Lowndes County Parks and Recreation Authority is a Municipal Authority, supported by various revenue sources: taxpayer funds from Valdosta and Lowndes County residents, program fees, rental fees, and grants. A board of directors, which is made up of both Lowndes County and Valdosta representatives, manages the Authority. The Valdosta City Council and the Lowndes County Commission are charged with selecting their representatives, who each serve three-year terms. The Board works closely with VLPRA’s Executive Director, who is in charge of day-to-day operations and manages the full-time and part-time staff. Anyone interesting in serving on the VLPRA Board should apply through the City Council or the County Commission, respectively.
- Executive Director: George Page
- Suzan Prince, Chairman (Lowndes Co. Appointee)
- Dan Deaver, Board Member (Lowndes Co. Appointee)
- Cisco Diaz, Board Member (City of Valdosta Appointee)
- Andy Gibbs, Board Member (City of Valdosta Appointee)
- Bubba Highsmith, Board Member (Lowndes Co. Appointee)
- Dr. Alvin Payton, Jr, Board Member (City of Valdosta Appointee)
- Stan Rome, Board Member (City of Valdosta Appointee)
- Mark Barber, City of Valdosta Ex-Officio
- Joe Pritchard, Lowndes County Ex-Officio